56km south east of Melbourne, access via the Princes Hwy. Access the Pakenham Travel Map and to "Get Directions" click the icon on the map.
The newly constructed racetrack is a level racing surface of 1408m in circumferrence with a minimum width of 16m. All turns are banked. Top turn has a camber in the range of 2.5 degrees to 3.3 degrees. The home turn has a consistent 4 degree camber giving backmarkers more winning opportunity than the previous circuit. The track is made up of sandy loam and sand, and is well drained. The track is fully irrigated and well grassed.
Distance to 1st turn
Race of 1000m - about 200m
Race of 1300m - about 300m
Race of 1400m - about 400m
Race of 1750 - about 350m
History of Pakenham Racing
130 years of Racing - In 1875 when Pakenham was a stopping place for Cobb & Co coaches bound for more distant Gippsland towns the Pakenham Racing Club was formed - when locale were still very raw. Among the early settlers in the Pakenham area were the Henty and Bourke families. The first David Joseph Bourke was a top horseman, and it was his drive and enthusiasm that helped the Club proper in the early days, when race meetings were a yearly affair. During the land boom of the 1880s clubs were influenced by wealth to increase the number of meetings, but Pakenham stuck by its annual day, which helped it survive. At that time, racing was held in Henty's paddock near the railway station and later in David Bourke's Paddock (site of the present course) in front of the railway station. By the early 1900's the course had fallen into partial disuse. Apart from the annual small picnic meeting, there was little enthusiasm. But help was at hand, as a result of local support led by Hugh and Michael Bourke money was raised to reconstruct the course, allowing racing to continue into the future.
In the sixties the Club improved the public facilities and in 1967 te Club received its first grant from the VRC for Training Track Maintenance. Also in 1967, Pakenham was the first to experiment with Steward Patrol Films. These films met with the approval of the Stewards. They were processed on course and available to the Stewards shortly after the horses had weighed in. Colour television came officially to Victoria on March 1st 1975. Unofficially it started at Pakenham racecourse on June 15th, 1967 when the ATVO experimented with a live broadcast.
Over the years the Club has been proud of its community involvement and support, holding the Pakenham Show, Yakerboo Festival and numerours local events.