71 km south east of Melbourne, access via the Frankston-Flinders and Coolart Roads. Access the Balnarring Travel Map and to "Get Directions" click the icon on the map.
After the winning post the track falls gradually to a low point at about the 1000m mark after which it climbs steadily to the turn and into the straight. The track is 15m wide to the 300m mark and then widens to 25m for the straight.
Distance to 1st turn
1000m - about 200m
1200m - about 400m
1600m - about 200m
2000m - about 300m
History of Balnarring Racing
History has left a tradition in the sleepy hamlet of Balnarring in the identity of the Balnarring Picnic Racing Club that was formed in 1863 under the name Hastings and Balnarring Racing Club. The club had several name changes in the early years. From its original title it was renamed the Balnarring Racing Club in 1882 then in 1918 the Bittern Racing Club, in 1928 the Bittern and Emu Plains Racing Club and in 1933 finally becoming the Balnarring Picnic Racing Club.
The racecourse is set within the Emu Plains Reserve. The 62 hectare site is decorated by a sweep of messmate forest that protects the 80 year old clubhouse (originally the Flinders Gold Club clubrooms) and provides a striking backdrop for the 1841 metre course. The shade provided by the age old trees is much appreciated by picnicking racegoers during the hot summer months when the club runs it popular races. The cover is such that many don't leave the restful shade even to watch the racing action.
Located in Western Port Bay on the Mornington Penunsula the Balnarring track is a cut above most picnic race clubs. The surrounding area has become a favourite with trainers and some of the largest names in the business have training properties within close proximity to the racecourse resulting in strong fields at the picnic meets.
In recent times club organisers have set about upgrading amenities. A new totalisator building was completed in 1987 and now offers full TAB facilities accessing races throughout Australia. New starting stalls are among the improvements implemented in 1991 and a 1600 metre chute has been added to the track. The sandy soil of its maritime location recovers quickly after rain, making it a good all weather track.